When I was younger I refused to help my mom in the kitchen. I didn’t like cooking and well I had no desire to learn either. She would always ask me, “How are you ever going to learn if you never let me teach you?” Well now that I’m getting older and living on my own, of course I want learn. So while I’m teaching myself a lot, I will always turn to my mom when I have questions and sometimes I like to show her what I’ve learned!
This christmas break I have been back and forth between my place and home so the other day when I was home I made dinner for the family! I was suppose to have it ready by the time they all got home from work but I got a little sidetracked and started later than planned, whoops.
I found a Taco Lasagna recipe that looked so good and have been dying to make it. I am not a huge fan of lasagna but I looove Taco’s! Luckily this recipe tasted more like tacos than lasagna too.
The recipe consists of only 7 ingredients and is very easy to put together! It takes about 20-30 minutes to prep depending on how fast the taco meat is cooked. Once it is all put together, it will then cook for 30-40 minutes! Allow for about an hour to complete this recipe. I didn’t think it would take that long and then it did and my family had to wait for dinner… we all got a little hangry. *cough, My brother got hangry, cough*
After the dish is done in the oven after the 30-40 minutes you are going to want to let it sit for 10 minutes. We were so hungry that we thought this detail wasn’t important but as we went for second rounds we noticed that it was actually tasting better and thats when it clicked. You have to let it sit for 10 minutes.
When I took the dish out of the oven and took off the foil, the cheese on the top was bubbly and delicious looking. The noodles were not completely done but once again, they finish cooking in that 10 minute period.
The Taco Lasagna had a lot of flavor and is one that I will be making again except next time, I will let it set it for 10 minutes before digging in and get the full experience the first time around!
Here are the ingredients:
- 12 Oven Ready Lasagna Noodles
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 package Old El Paso taco seasoning
- 1 egg
- 1 carton (15 oz.) ricotta cheese
- 4 cups shredded cheese
- 1 jar (24 oz.) chunky salsa
- Optional toppings: sour cream, green onions, diced tomatoes
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a skillet brown beef until no longer pink. Drain and add taco seasoning. (follow instructions on back of package). Set off to side when combined.
- In a small bowl, add the egg and ricotta and stir until combined.
- In a 9×13 baking dish, start by layering 4 lasagna noodles on the bottom of the pan.
- Layer 1/3 of the ricotta, 1/3 of the taco meat, 1/3 of salsa, and 1/3 of cheese. (Repeat steps 4 & 5 two more times)
- Bake covered for 30-40 minutes or until the dish has heated through and is bubbly.
- Let dish stand for 10 minutes before cutting
- Top with sour cream, green onions and diced tomatoes if desired.
Hope y’all enjoy!
Until next time,